I am beyond passionate about providing therapy for children, teens, and young adults at Capon Counseling LLC!
My specialities include:
- Anxiety (panic attacks, social anxiety, excessive worry/thoughts, separation)
- Trauma (including sexual abuse)
- Depression (sadness, isolation, suicidal thoughts, self-injurious behaviors, loss of motivation, lack of interest)
- Academic Stress
- Low Self-Esteem (low-self worth, overly critical of oneself, focusing on negatives/ignoring achievements)
- Grief and Loss
- Identity Exploration
- Peer/Family Relationships (bullying, gossip, sibling rivalry, parent-child discord)
I utilize different modalities including Cognitive Behavioral Therapy (CBT), Trauma-Focused-Cognitive Behavioral Therapy (TF-CBT), and Eye Movement Desensitization and Reprocessing (EMDR).
Cognitive Behavioral Therapy (CBT):
- Focuses on how thoughts, feelings, and behaviors are all related
- Challenges negative thoughts and works to develop new, rational, positive thoughts
- Enhances emotional stability and promotes positive behavior
- Helps to understand how negative thinking patterns are contributing to stress, anxiety, illness, and depression
Trauma Focused-Cognitive Behavioral Therapy (TF-CBT):
- Evidenced based psychotherapy that addresses the needs of children and adolescents with post traumatic stress disorder and other difficulties related to traumatic life events
- Parenting skills
- Relaxation skills
- Affective modulation skills
- Cognitive coping skills
- Trauma narrative and cognitive processing of the traumatic event(s)
- Enhancing safety and future developmental trajectory
Eye Movement Desensitization and Reprocessing (EMDR):
- Psychotherapy treatment that aims to alleviate the distress associated with traumatic memories
- EMDR therapy involves attention to three time periods: past, present, future
- These items are addressed using an eight-phase treatment approach
I also utilize mindfulness and relaxation strategies in my treatment process.
I am a licensed clinical social worker and have worked in direct practice for over 20 years. I completed a Master's in Social Work from University of Maryland, Baltimore specializing in families and Children and a Bachelor's Degree from the University of Maryland Baltimore County in Social Work. I completed a Certificate Program in Traumatic Stress Studies from the Trauma Center at JRI in Boston.
For more information or to schedule an appointment, please email [email protected] or call 202-570-4819.
I offer both in-person and virtual psychotherapy depending on your preference and schedule. I look forward to hearing from you and beginning our therapeutic journey together!